Friday 25 July 2014

Finding the Best in Others


"We sing "Amazing Grace," but do we truly realize how amazing grace actually is?..." ~Francis Frangipane

In January I read this blog post, "What is My One Word?": a twist to the New-Year’s-resolution-blog-theme for the beginning of a new year. The idea was that, rather than choosing a list of things to change (that most people will have given up by February anyways), the authors choose one word and make that their focus for the entire year: as they say, “Losing the List and Picking a Word”.

"...a simple but effective plan to effect personal change (spiritual formation) by allowing a single word to become the lens through which you examine your heart and life for an entire year...
Your single word will force clarity and concentrate your efforts. And as you focus on your word over an extended period of time, you position yourself for God to form your character at a deep, sustainable level." (~Mike Ashcraft & Rachel Olsen)
So, long story short,
                        my one word for this year has been 

Since then, it's been showing up everywhere: books, and chapters in books, and blog-posts on grace, songs about grace, movies about grace. A lady I went to visit in February told me about a book she was reading: “Grace” by Max Lucado (she passed away from cancer a few short weeks after). 

The more I explore this one little word, the more its meaning has become alive.  

It is moving past the hearing of a word, and into the living meaning of it and all that it encompasses.



Some of my biggest "mission-field challenges" in the orphanage the past year have been cultural-oriented and different approaches to childcare. This year, I wanted to change my focus, finding and giving Grace in the everyday, in the workplace, in childcare, and especially in working with the ladies around me.

So, what does Grace look like in childcare? In a glance:

It is being patient, being kind, being tender and affectionate; taking time to teach, correct, guide; being consistent and firm with rules, boundaries and consequences; it is forgiveness and patience over and over as you deal with behavior issues, tantrums and acting out; it is giving unconditional love in every circumstance; nurturing and not controlling; loving and mercy-filled.

What does it mean to show Grace in the workplace, with co-workers?

And, this is where I am challenged.  


This is the question I now ask myself, so that rather than judge and set myself apart, and get frustrated,  I would learn to relate, to be sympathetic, compassionate, and to show love to those around me despite differences of opinion and ways of doing things. To look past cultural differences and find a way to relate. To relationship. It is natural for me to find grace with children, but somehow has not been natural for me to find grace with adults. And this is where God’s grace covers my lack.  He forgives my wrongs, corrects my faults, let’s me fail and loves me still. He is all-patient as he leads me, in my timing, to grow.

I think that grace in the workplace is much of the same: forgiving people’s offences, being patient with people’s idiosyncrasies, showing favor, a tendency first to kindness, tenderness, love. Grace is looking for the good, the best, in others despite conflicts or differing points of view, and despite challenging relationships.






Exploring the word, the meaning, the life of grace helps me to see God’s goodness.  And, that’s something I especially need reminding of these days, because though I have faith, I don’t always understand or trust what The Maker is doing in this life, in this world.  This year has especially been hard, with Mom’s diagnoses with lymphoma. Life is hard. The struggles come and go, but there always seems something to be up against.

This study on grace is not over, and here is only a smidgen of what I have been learning.  But, we could all use a little more grace in our every day.  The exciting thing is that it is there, in great abundance, we just need to see.

I am so glad that God’s graces can be found everywhere. His continual forgiveness of sins, patience with rebellious, head-strong people, the free gifts he offers us daily, and the many blessings to be thankful for- even when we don't deserve them (especially when). That is a good God right there.




Today I find grace in each of the women I have worked with (I blog about that over at the Josephine House site). Each one is beautiful, made by God, with His plans for good in their lives; and they also, each one, offer something good to the lives of others. I am thankful to know each one of them!



But, where is there grace to give, if it isn't for the accepting of the Creator's great grace in the first place...

"For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people," - Titus 2:11
 "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not of works lest any man should boast" - Ephesians 2:8-9
 "if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved." -Romans 10:9 
Afterall, “There is no one righteous, not even one;    there is no one who understands;    there is no one who seeks God.  All have turned away,    they have together become worthless;   there is no one who does good,    not even one.” - Romans 3:10-12

Will you accept His Grace today?

Your Grace Finds Me music video, Matt Redman




Some inspirational resources on Grace:

Website on grace approached parenting: http://gracebasedparenting.com/
DVD's: Grace: The One and Only, Louise Giglio
Movies: Grace Unplugged - a teen finds God's grace and her parents' grace after her rebellious choices lead her back to the right path.
Ann Voskamp finds a way of finding grace in the everyday things, all of the time, I love her blogs: http://www.aholyexperience.com/ Another blog post on grace from Heart to Heart...

This is Amazing Grace” song by Phil Whickham, “Your Grace Finds Me” song by Matt Redman (see above for the video!)

No comments:

Post a Comment